Prescription medicines taken properly help heal illness, relieve pain, control disease, and bring balance to your life. But when others take your medications, they can be very dangerous.
An alarming trend is emerging. Every day, more than 1,700 children and young adults begin experimenting with prescription drugs, according to lockyourmeds.org. They can become addicted, poisoned, or even die from an overdose.
There is something we can all do in Buncombe County. Start with these steps:
- Count the medications in your home
- Secure or lock your pills, preferably out of reach of children
- Drop off unused pills at a Rx Drop-Off Location
- Ask your friends and family to do the same
There are three prescription drug drop boxes in Buncombe County located in the lobbies of the:
- Buncombe County Sheriff’s Office at 339 New Leicester Hwy
- Buncombe County Courthouse at 60 Court Plaza
- Asheville Police Department at 100 Court Plaza
To learn more about the Lock Your Meds initiative from the National Family Partnership, visit lockyourmeds.org.