Skip to Main Content

Registration Requirements

Who can register to vote?

To register to vote in Buncombe County you must:

  • Be a citizen of the United States;
  • Be a legal resident of Buncombe County and North Carolina for 30 days, before the date of the next election.
  • Be 18 years of age or older by the General Election Day in November of that year.
  • Have had citizenship rights restored, if ever convicted of a felony. No special documentation is needed. For more information: "A Misdemeanant & Ex-Felon's Guide to Voting in North Carolina (PDF)"
  • Not be registered nor will vote in any other county or state.

Frequently Asked Questions

The North Carolina State Board of Elections provides a voter information search mechanism as part of a technology pilot program. To use this tool simply choose "Voter Information" from the "Voter Lookup" page then enter your information and press "Submit" There you will find your voter information including your address, voting history and polling location.

If you cannot find out if you are registered for whatever reason, please don't hesitate to either call us at 250-4200 or email Joyce Kanavel.

To register to vote in Buncombe County you must:

  • Be a citizen of the United States;
  • Be a legal resident of Buncombe County and North Carolina for 30 days, by the date of the next election.
  • Be 18 years of age or older by general election day.
  • Have had citizenship rights restored, if ever convicted of a felony.
  • Not be registered nor will vote in any other county or state.

First time voters who register by mail, must provide proof of identity at some point in the process:

  • At the time of registration
  • When you vote in person
  • When you vote by mail

Accepted Identification Is:

  • Current & Valid ID
  • Copy of Bank Statement
  • Paycheck
  • Utility Bill
  • Other government document showing name & address of voter

HOW can I register to vote?

Buncombe county residents can contact our office at the address or phone below:

77 McDowell Street
Asheville, NC 28801

PO Box 7468
Asheville, NC 28802-7468
(828) 250-4200

Voter registration programs are actively conducted through many agencies in this State. If a person is applying for or receiving benefits from any of the participating agencies or programs, a voter registration transaction is available during the conduct of any business with that office. The following programs and agencies are currently participating in the agency voter registration program:

Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV):

The driver's license examination offices, located throughout the county, have conducted a successful voter registration program since 1984. A person may complete a voter registration transaction at any driver's license examination office when conducting official DMV business with that office (applying for or renewing a driver's license, I.D. card, etc.).

District VIII Office — West Asheville
1624 Patton Ave (28806) Phone: (828)-251-6081
Monday - Friday

Buncombe County has permanent and continuous registration. You may change your registration at any time, but it is best to make changes by the registration deadline, which is 25 days before each election. You need to change your registration for any of the following reasons:

  1. You desire to change your party affiliation ( See Below ).
  2. You have changed your legal name.
  3. You have been placed in an inactive registration file.
  4. You have moved to a different voting precinct since registering in Buncombe County. (If you forget to submit a change-of-address before the registration deadline, you can still vote. See the voting page for instructions.) ** Remember to sign the application **

Approximately 30 days after registering or changing your registration, you will receive by mail a voter card listing your precinct, voting location, districts, and other important election information. If you do not receive your voter card, contact the Board Of Elections office at (828) 250-4200.

How do I make changes?

Changing your voter registration information is relatively easy. You can use the North Carolina Voter Registration Application/ Change of Information Form to change your current voter registration information or to apply for a new voter registration.
Mail the completed and signed form to Buncombe County Board of Elections. If the registration deadline is near, the form may be faxed.  The original must then be sent to the office and received in 5 days.  For existing voters, an original signature is needed for any changes other than an address change.

Mailing Address / Fax Number:
Buncombe County Board of Elections
PO Box 7468
Asheville, NC 28802-7468
Fax: (828) 250-6262

What if I've moved?

When you move within a county, you should complete an in-county change of address. This can be completed on your voter identification card, a signed letter to your local board of elections or on the form specified above.
When you move from one county to another, you will need to apply for voter registration in your new county of residence. Use the form specified above or pick up a form at any local board of elections or public library. Note that when you move within the State, the law requires that you change your address on your driver's license within 60 days. When you change your address on your drivers license, whether it is in person or on the Internet, you are given an opportunity to change your voter registration as well.
Note that if you move during a time close to an election, the following rules apply: If you have moved more than 30 days prior to the election you will need to be registered and may only vote at your new polling place. If you have moved fewer than 30 days prior to the election, you are still qualified to vote in your prior polling place and may vote only there.

What about other changes?

It is important that the board of elections is able to contact you by mail to inform you of changes to your polling place and/or voting districts. Therefore, any changes to your mailing address should be reported. Name changes and party affiliation changes should be made upon your decision to change them. Note that a person must be registered with a political party in order to participate in its party's primary unless the party has opened its primary to unaffiliated voters. The following parties have opened their primaries to unaffiliated voters: Democratic, Libertarian, and Republican. Note that on the day of any primary election, an unaffiliated voter may choose to participate in only one party's primary.
How will I know the change has been made to my record?
Once you have completed and faxed/mailed your changes to your local board of elections, allow two to six weeks for delivery of your voter identification card. Read the information thoroughly and note any changes or mistakes on the card. A voter identification card is for your use only, You do not need the card in order to vote. If you have any questions regarding making a change to your voter registration, please call Election Services at 250-4200

To register to vote in Buncombe County you must:

  1. Meet the voting requirements (noted above).
  2. Complete a registration application. (See below for information about party affiliation.)
  3. Submit (mail or personally deliver) completed application at least 25 days before Election Day.

The deadline to register to vote in this State is 25 days before the day of the election. Forms that are received by the Buncombe County Board of Elections office or postmarked by the deadline are accepted as valid applications for the upcoming election. Also, agency and DMV voter registration transactions that are completed by the deadline are accepted as valid for the upcoming election. Applicants will be notified by the Buncombe County Board of Elections of their precinct and polling place assignments.

A voter registration card will be mailed to you once your registration application or update form has been processed. Keep the card. It tells you the location of your voting place and the districts in which you reside. You may use the card to change your address, if you move within Buncombe County, or to change your name or party affiliation.