Skip to Main Content

How do I change my voter registration?

Buncombe County has permanent and continuous registration. You may change your registration at any time before the registration deadline, which is 25 days before each election. You need to change your registration for any of the following reasons:

  1. You desire to change your party affiliation ( See Below ).
  2. You have changed your legal name.
  3. You have been placed in an inactive registration file.
  4. You have moved to a different voting precinct since registering in Buncombe County. (If you forget to submit a change-of-address before the registration deadline, you can still vote. See the voting page for instructions.) ** Remember to sign the application **

Approximately 30 days after registering or changing your registration, you will receive by mail a voter card listing your precinct, voting location, districts, and other important election information. If you do not receive your voter card, contact the Board Of Elections office at (828) 250-4200.

How do I make changes?

Changing your voter registration information is relatively easy. You can use the North Carolina Voter Registration Application/ Change of Information Form to change your current voter registration information or to apply for a new voter registration.
Mail the completed and signed form to Buncombe County Board of Elections. If the registration deadline is near, the form may be faxed.  The original must then be sent to the office and received in 5 days.  For existing voters, an original signature is needed for any changes other than an address change.

Mailing Address / Fax Number:
Buncombe County Board of Elections
PO Box 7468
Asheville, NC 28802-7468
Fax: (828) 250-6262

What if I've moved?

When you move within a county, you should complete an in-county change of address. This can be completed on your voter identification card, a signed letter to your local board of elections or on the form specified above.

When you move from one county to another, you will need to apply for voter registration in your new county of residence. Use the form specified above or pick up a form at any local board of elections or public library. Note that when you move within the State, the law requires that you change your address on your driver's license within 60 days. When you change your address on your driver’s license, you are given an opportunity to change your voter registration as well.

Note that if you move during a time close to an election, the following rules apply: If you have moved more than 30 days prior to the election you will need to be registered and may only vote at your new polling place. If you have moved fewer than 30 days prior to the election, you are still qualified to vote in your prior polling place and may vote only there.

What about other changes?

It is important that the board of elections is able to contact you by mail to inform you of changes to your polling place and/or voting districts. Therefore, any changes to your mailing address should be reported. Name changes and party affiliation changes should be made upon your decision to change them. Note: NC conducts open primaries. An unaffiliated voter may choose to participate in only one party's primary.

How will I know the change has been made to my record?

Once you have completed and faxed/mailed your changes to your local board of elections, allow two to six weeks for delivery of your voter identification card. Read the information thoroughly and note any changes or mistakes on the card. A voter identification card is for your use only, You do not need the card in order to vote. If you have any questions regarding making a change to your voter registration, please call Election Services at 250-4200

To register to vote in Buncombe County you must:

  1. Meet the voting requirements (noted above).
  2. Complete a registration application. (See below for information about party affiliation.)
  3. Submit (mail or personally deliver) completed application at least 25 days before Election Day.