What types of investments is the county authorized to use? Buncombe County emphasizes safety, liquidity, and yield in its investment policy and only permits the following investments although others are authorized by North Carolina General Statute 159-30(c):
- Obligations of the United States or obligations fully guaranteed both as to principal and interest by the United States.
- Obligations of the Federal Financing Bank, the Federal Farm Credit Bank, the Bank for Cooperatives, the Federal Intermediate Credit Bank, the Federal Land Banks, the Federal Home Loan Banks, the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation, Fannie Mae, the Government National Mortgage Association, the Federal Housing Administration, the Farmers Home Administration, the United States Postal Service.
- Obligations of the State of North Carolina.
- Bonds and notes of any North Carolina local government or public authority, subject to such restrictions as the Secretary of the Local Government Commission may impose.
- Deposits at interest or savings certificates of deposit with any bank, savings and loan association or trust company in North Carolina, provided such deposits or certificates of deposit are fully collateralized.
- Prime quality commercial paper bearing the highest rating of at least one nationally recognized rating service and not bearing a rating below the highest (A1, P1, F1) by any nationally recognized rating service which rates the particular obligation.
- Banker's Acceptances provided the accepting bank or its holding company is either (1) incorporated in the State of North Carolina or (2) has outstanding publicly held obligations bearing the highest rating of at least one nationally recognized rating service and not bearing a rating below the highest (Aaa or AAA) by any nationally recognized rating service which rates the particular obligations.
- Participating shares in a mutual fund for local government investment (such as the N.C. Capital Management Trust) which is certified by the N.C. Local Government Commission.
p. (828) 250-4149
200 College Street, Suite 420
Asheville, NC 28801
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.