The Buncombe County Register of Deeds office is now authorized to issue copies of birth certificates from the Statewide Birth Database maintained by the North Carolina office of Vital Records in Raleigh. Through this system we are able to issue birth certificates for persons born in all counties of North Carolina from 1971 forward. Please be aware that you should not use this system if any of the following conditions apply to your request:
- the individual was born prior to 1971
- you don't have correct birth facts (name, birth year, mother's maiden name)
- the individual was adopted
- you want an image copy of the complete birth certificate rather than an abstract
- the individual's birth was registered as a delayed birth registration (more than one year after the fact of birth)
- you are not willing to pay $24 for a search and one certified copy (each additional certified copy of the same certificate is $15)
Please note that in accordance with state law, you will be charged $14 for each search in this system, whether the record is located or not. Furthermore, only the individual whose certificate is requested, his/her immediate family or a legal representative of any of those individuals may obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate. Anyone may obtain an uncertified copy, however, the $14 search fee must still be charged.
For individuals born in Buncombe County, please remember to refer to our Buncombe County Birth Certificates page.
If, after reading and understanding the above facts, you wish to request a birth certificate from the Statewide Birth Database, please bring your valid photo ID and payment to our office at 205 College St.
We accept Visa/MasterCard, cash, personal checks, or money orders payable to Register of Deeds.