Recording Maps & Plats

About Recording Maps and Plats

Must all maps be presented to the Review Officer?

All maps must be presented to the Review Officer UNLESS:

  • Item b. or c. of the surveyor's certificate is marked saying that the survey is in an area with no ordinance or that the survey is of an existing parcel or building, or the survey is a control survey (GS 47-30 (f) (11) b. or c.)
  • The map is a municipal annexation map or boundary map or the map is a DOT ROW plan or corridor map (GS 47-30 (j) or (1)
  • The map is attached to a document and the map contains the non-certified survey statement (GS 47-30 (n)

Does the register of deeds need to verify the name of the review  officer who approves the plat for recording?

Yes. The register is responsible for making sure that the person who signs as review officer is named in the resolution required by 47-30.2. It is a good idea to maintain and post a current list of the names of all review officers appointed by the county commissioners.

Are municipal boundary maps, annexation maps, highway right of way plats, and roadway corridor maps subject to the review process?

No. The 1998 amendment to 47-30 exempts these maps from the review process.

Can the review officer named in the resolution delegate his authority to another person?

Yes, if the commissioner's resolution authorizes delegation. If John Jones is the review officer and he delegates authority to Sam Smith, the review officer's certificate should be signed "John Jones by Sam Smith".

Is the register of deeds required to check for control corners?

No. Effective October 1, 1997 this responsibility was transferred to review officers.

Can the review officer charge a fee for reviewing plats?


If a certified copy of a plat recorded in county A is presented for  recording in county B, is review officer approval required before recording in county B?

Yes. The review officer is county B must approve the certified copy before it can be recorded in county B.