Beginning February 1, the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide, in cooperation with the IRS, NC Department of Revenue, Buncombe County Library System and Council on Aging, Inc. will offer free tax preparations for taxpayers of low and moderate income, with special attention to those age 60 and older.
This service will be available from February 1 through April 18 at sites listed below. Both Federal and NC tax returns will be electronically filed for safe and accurate preparation and faster refunds
LOCATIONS AND HOURS:
Pack Library 67 Haywood Street, 828-250-4700
- Monday 10am-4pm
- Wednesday 10am-4pm
- Saturday 10:30 am-3 pm**
West Asheville Library 942 Haywood Road
Weaverville Library 41 North Main Street, 828-250-6482
Black Mountain Library 105 N Dougherty Street, 828-250-4756
Questions and requests for homebound individuals can be directed to the Buncombe County Council on Aging at 277-8288.
**Saturday tax assistance is provided by UNCA and will end on April 8. There will be no Saturday tax assistance on March 11.
Taxpayers should bring the following documents:
- Photo I.D. for taxpayer and spouse
- Social Security cards or equivalent for ALL taxpayers and dependents
- Proof of health insurance coverage: Medicare A or C, Medicaid, CHIP, government, employer, individual, or Marketplace (Form 1095-A, B, C, Exemption Certificate)
- Previous year’s (2015) income tax return
- W-2 forms from each employer
- 1099 forms for income from Social Security, Pension, Interest, Dividends, Brokers/Mutual Funds, Miscellaneous
- Income, Gambling Winnings (Form W-2G) and any other income
- Detailed list and receipts for Medical Expenses, Charitable Contributions, Real Estate Taxes and Mortgage Interest
- Form 1098 if you are claiming itemized expenses
- Any other tax forms or information for both income and expenses
- A voided check for direct deposit of any refund to your checking or savings account