Health Promotion staff work with agency staff and community partners to improve health outcomes.
Buncombe County is focusing on these four public health priorities:
- Healthy Living
- Preconception Health
- Early Child Development
- Access to Care
The Public Health Advisory Council is a new committee of the county's integrated Health & Human Services (HHS) Board. The council works with the Board and the staff of HHS to guide efforts, in collaboration with community organizations and groups who are working together to make improvements in each of these areas of health.
Health Promotion Staff provide the following assistance to the Public Health Advisory Council, community partners, agency staff and the media:
- Define the health outcomes our community is striving to achieve
- Make health data more available and easier to understand
- Identify data we need but don't have and work with partners to gather data that will help measure the impact our community is having on priority health issues
- Identify the strategies that will have the greatest impact on priority health issues and where we have sufficient resources in place and where we need more.
- Determine the outcomes we monitor as a community and align measures that will help us evaluate progress toward improving the outcomes.
- Support communication with partners and publish health information, reports and news releases that help the public and our partners stay informed about priority and emerging health issues, new research findings and community events.
Communications & Media Partners
Health Promotion Staff make it a priority to partner with local media to help people get connected to the health facts, stories and resources they need and want to know about.
Media should call our dedicated Media Phone number: (828) 775-1321 to request help with health facts, spokespersons and resources.
Helpful links to find information about:
Resources available online:
To request data or assistance with data and developing outcome measures, contact Marian Arledge at (828) 250-5046 or email Marian.Arledge@buncombecounty.org or contact Gaylen Ehrlichman at (828) 250-5045 or email Gaylen.Ehrlichman@buncombecounty.org
United Way's 211
For a list of other programs & services in our community, please use the 2-1-1 Database by clicking on the following link: United Way's 2-1-1
To make an appointment:
To learn more about any of our services or to request assistance please call (828) 250-5045
How are services paid for?
The Health Promotion services are paid for by various sources including: local county government, grants and contracts from local, state and federal agencies and organizations.
Do you suspect abuse?
To make an adult or child protective services report any time, day or night, call the numbers below:
Child Abuse: 828.250.5900
Adult Abuse: 828.250.5800
Report Communicable Disease
Health Promotion Manager
PO Box 7407
Asheville, NC 28802
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Servicio Interpretes Gratis
Free Language Assistance is Available