Buncombe County Department of Social Services staff issues youth employment certificates for youth between the ages of 14 and 18. They may also be issued by designated schools or agencies. You may contact your school guidance counselor to inquire if they are a designee.
Both Social Services and department of Labor (Raleigh) maintain a file of these permits. Social Services has copy of the state and federal laws regarding youth employment which is available for parents or employers. In addition, employers are required to know applicable state and federal laws regarding youth employment.
A youth employment certificate, or work permit, is required for any youth under the age of 18 to work, except if employed in government, agricultural or domestic work. To get a youth employment certificate:
- Go to the N.C. Department of Labor Web site, www.nclabor.com, and click on “Youth Work Permit” www.nclabor.com/wh/youth_instructions.aspx.
- Follow the directions to submit the required information for a youth employment certificate.
- After the information is submitted, the approved permit will be displayed on the screen.
- Print out the certificate and have it signed by the youth, parent or guardian, and employer.
- Give completed certificate to the employer to maintain on file.
If you have any questions about the youth employment certificate, contact the NCDOL Wage and Hour Bureau at (919) 807-2796 or toll-free at 1-800-NC-LABOR (625-2267).
The youth employment certificate may also be obtained by visiting the Buncombe County Department of Social Services.
To obtain a work permit, inquire at the main reception desk at 40 Coxe Avenue between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m..
There are no charges for this service.
What to bring with you
- Picture ID
- Social Security Card
- Birth Certificate
How are services paid for?
No charge for services
For a listing of county-wide programs & services offered by Buncombe County Government, please visit our Services section.
Social Services Director / Assistant County Manager
40 Coxe Avenue
PO Box 7408
Asheville, NC 28802
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Call these numbers anytime, day or night