This news item expired on Friday, November 30, 2012 so the information below could be outdated or incorrect.
The American Red Cross has launched its official Hurricane App, putting lifesaving information right in the hands of people who live in or visit hurricane prone areas.
This free app is for use on both iPhone and Android platforms.
Download it here: www.redcross.org/mobileapps
It gives instant access to local and real time information on what to do before, during and after hurricanes and gives personalized weather alerts for locations where family and friends reside.
The App also has social features that will help friends and family stay in touch during storms, reducing much of the fear and uncertainly for loved ones and property owners far away. More features include:
- One touch “I’m safe” messaging that allows users to broadcast reassurance to family and friends via social media outlets that they are out of harm’s way;
- Location-based NOAA weather alerts for the United States and its territories users can share on social networks
- Remote monitoring of personalized weather alerts where family and friends reside
- Locations of open Red Cross shelters;
- Simple steps and checklists people can use to create a family emergency plan;
- Preloaded content that gives users instant access to critical action steps even without mobile connectivity;
- Toolkit with flashlight, strobe light and audible alarm; and
- Badges users can earn through interactive quizzes and share on social networks.