Summer vacation is not the time to let your guard down. Travelers are especially vulnerable because they are checking into hotels, eating out and shopping. These are the exact locations where thieves go to steal your personal information by hacking into payment systems and company databases.
Follow these helpful tips while vacationing this summer.
- Before you leave, notify your bank and debit/credit card companies about your travel plans.
- Have your mail stopped with the post office while you're away.
- Only carry the necessities in your wallet. Leave your social security card at home!
- Make copies of your passports and other travel documents.
- Only use secure internet connections and do not access financial information on public computers.
- Use the hotel room safe and lock up your passports, laptops and other important documents.
- DO NOT post your travel plans on Facebook or other social media sites.
- Store phone numbers in your mobile phone for your bank and debit/credit card companies in case your wallet gets lost or stolen.
- Keep every receipt until you get home to verify against your bank statement.
Source: Zander Insurance Group