The following materials are accepted at the Buncombe County Solid Waste Management Facilitys Convenience Center at no charge:
- oil filters
- lead acid batteries
- newspaper, magazines, office paper & mixed paper
- corrugated cardboard
- blue bags or co-mingled recyclables including:
- Metal Cans -Aluminum, Steel, Tin, EMPTY Aerosol cans (If the cans are not empty, they are considered a household hazardous waste (HHW) and needs to be brought to the landfill during HHW collection every Friday, except holidays, from 9am - 3pm.
- Plastic - All Bottles, Jugs, and Containers #1 - #7 (EX: plastic yogurt containers, margarine tubs, plastic take out containers (i.e. clam shells)
- Glass - Bottles and Jars (clear, brown, green)
- Aluminum - Pie Tins, Food Trays
- Paper Cartons - Milk & Juice Cartons and Juice Boxes
- Newspapers and inserts
- Mixed Paper - Catalogs, Junk mail, Magazines, Cereal boxes, Egg cartons (paper), Envelopes, Manila envelopes, Office paper, Paper, Phone books, Glossy paper, Post-It-Notes, Brown paper bags, Paper towel rolls, Shredded paper (place in paper bag with top rolled down)
- motor oils
- cooking oil
- tires - Residents may recycle 10 tires without rims at no charge. After that, tires may be recycled at $2 per tire. All tires on rims (even the first 10) are $2 per tire.
and white goods including:
- air conditioners
- and all metals
Note: Buncombe County Landfill does not accept non-infectious medical waste.
Wood pallets MUST now be recycled, they will continue to be accepted at the landfill for $20/ton, and will be ground up into mulch.
Table: Solid Waste Contact Information
|Solid Waste Management Facility
||85 Panther Branch Road
Alexander, NC 28701
|Hours of Operation
||Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.