Concealed Handgun Permits
Criteria of Issuance:
- An applicant must be a resident of Buncombe County and a resident of NC for 30 days prior to the application being filed.
- An applicant must be at least 21 years of age.
- An applicant must not suffer from any physical or mental weakness that prevents the safe handling of a handgun.
- An applicant must have successfully completed a North Carolina approved firearms safety and training course.
Please provide the following for initial application process:
- A North Carolina approved Firearm Safety Training Certificate (original certificate)
- Valid Driver's License or ID card (all information on license or ID card must be correct)
- $90 fee - cash, certified check or money order (no personal checks) $75 fee for renewals; $15.00 fee for replacement due to loss / destruction of permit (signed affidavit required).
- DD214 (if discharged from military).
Persons not eligible include anyone:
- Found guilty or received a prayer for judgment continued or suspended sentence for any crimes of violence or misdemeanor assaults as defined by General Statutes
- Under indictment or against whom a finding of probable cause exists for a felony
- Found guilty in any court for a felony
- Receiving a prayer for judgment continued for any criminal offense which disqualifies a person from receiving a Concealed Handgun Permit
- Who is a fugitive from justice;
- Who is an unlawful user of or addicted to illegal drugs;
- Discharged from the armed forces for other than honorable reasons
- Who has been ruled mentally ill or lacking mental capacity
- Ineligible to own, possess or receive a firearm under the provisions of state or federal law
- Free on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal or sentencing for a crime which disqualifies a person from receiving a Concealed Handgun Permit
- Convicted of an impaired driving offense within three years prior to application date