Criteria of Issuance:
- An applicant must be a citizen of the US.
- An applicant must be a resident of Buncombe County and a resident of NC for 30 days prior to the application being filed.
- An applicant must be at least 21 years of age.
- An applicant must not suffer from any physical or mental weakness that prevents the safe handling of a handgun.
- An applicant must have successfully completed an approved firearms safety and training course.
Please provide the following for initial application process:
- Firearm Safety Training Certificate (original certificate)
- Valid Driver’s License or ID card (all information on license or ID card must be correct)
- $90 fee - cash, certified check or money order (no personal checks) $75 fee for renewals; $15.00 fee for an address change or loss / destruction of permit
- DD214 (if discharged from military)
Please call the City/County Identification Bureau at (828) 250-4684 to schedule an appointment to apply for a CHP. Please allow 30 minutes for the application process and 90 - 120 days for issuance or denial of the requested permit.
Persons not eligible include anyone:
- Found guilty or received a prayer for judgment continued or suspended sentence for any crimes of violence or misdemeanor assaults as defined by General Statutes
- Under indictment or against whom a finding of probable cause exists for a felony
- Found guilty in any court for a felony
- Receiving a prayer for judgment continued for any criminal offense which disqualifies a person from receiving a Concealed Handgun Permit
- Who is a fugitive from justice;
- Who is an unlawful user of or addicted to illegal drugs;
- Discharged from the armed forces for other than honorable reasons
- Who has been ruled mentally ill or lacking mental capacity
- Ineligible to own, possess or receive a firearm under the provisions of state or federal law
- Free on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal or sentencing for a crime which disqualifies a person from receiving a Concealed Handgun Permit
- Convicted of an impaired driving offense within three years prior to application date