Uniform Commercial Code (UCC)
The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) operates under Chapter 25, of the NC General Statutes to provide a method of giving notice of a security interest in personal property to interested third parties. Article 9 of this Chapter became effective July 1, 2001 and made the following changes affecting UCC filings:
- Only fixture fillings are accepted for filing at the Register of Deeds Office. Fixture filings are assigned a book and page number and indexed with Consolidated Real Property documents, and can be recorded in:
Buncombe County Register of Deeds Office
205 College Street
Asheville, NC 28801
- A new national UCC form or facsimile should be used for filings. UCC forms are available for download via the Secretary of State's website: www.sosnc.com/ucc/.
- Existing UCC-1 files already on record will be maintained until June 30, 2008. Fixture filings can be renewed with the new national form or facsimile. No amendments to existing non-fixture filings will be accepted at the County Level (amendments include releases, assignments, continuations, and terminations).
- UCC filed prior to July 1, 2001, are not on line in the Register of Deeds Office.
There are three primary types of UCC filings as described below:
- UCC-1 - Financing Statement
The UCC-1 is an initial filing of a financing statement. According to General Statue 25-9-502, a financing statement must contain the following information:
UCC-3 Financing Statement Change
- Secured Party's Name and Address
- Debtor's name and address
- Statement indicating types and/or descriptions of collateral.
The UCC-3 (amendment) is used for five kinds of secondary statements:
UCC-11: Request for Information on Copies
- Continuation of a financing statement
- Termination of a financing statement
- Assignment of a secured party's right under a financing statement
- Changes to a financing statement
- Release of part (or all) of the collateral covered by a financing statement.
The UCC-11 is a request for information on a particular debtor, yielding any active financing statements or assignments only. UCC filings prior to July 1, 2001 are searchable via Buncombe County Records. New Fixture Filings will continue to be indexed on the retrieval system.
Online UCC Forms
Download UCC Forms
Email the UCC at firstname.lastname@example.org
$38.00 — 1 - 2 Pages
$45.00 — if greater than 2 pages + $2.00 per page over 10 pages
$38.00 — 1 - 2 Pages
$45.00 if greater than 2 pages +$2.00 per page over 10 pages
$38.00 per debtor name + $2.00 per page for Copies.
- Termination (Amendment)
- Searches for UCCs filed in the Register of Deeds Office
$38.00 for each name or business searched
Copies of the UCC search are $2.00 per page
We accept Visa/MasterCard, cash, personal checks, or money orders payable to Register of Deeds.