As of January 1, 2014, citizens in North Carolina who wish to vote but do not have a photo ID can visit the Register of Deeds office to acquire a free birth or marriage certificate if needed to obtain a state-issued ID for voting purposes.
When you come, you must bring at least two of the following documents for verification:
- income tax return or W-2 form,
- car registration or title,
- utility bill,
- bank statement,
- government check,
- pay check stub,
- government document,
- state-issued concealed weapon permit,
- prison identification card,
- college or school identification,
- college or school transcript,
- or North Carolina voter identification card.
If you have further questions about this process, please call (828) 250-4300. For more information about the Voter Information Verification Act, please visit the NC Board of Elections website.