Instructions for Filing Certificate of Assumed Name
Any sole proprietorship, general partnership, limited partnership, corporation, or LLC engaged in business in any county in the state under an assumed name other than the real name of the owner (or owners) must file an assumed name certificate or 'doing business as' (DBA) in the Register of Deeds Office in the county or counties in which it is doing business.
Before filing the assumed name certificate or DBA in Buncombe County it is recommended that you perform a name search to determine if the proposed business name has already been filed.
The Register of Deeds Office cannot assist you in filling out forms, but will be happy to assist you with the name search.
- The Certificate of Assumed Name for a sole proprietorship or partnership must be signed by the individual owner or each general partner.
- The Certificate of Assumed Name for a corporation or LLC must be signed in the name of the corporation.
- The certificate for a limited partnership must be signed by all general partners.
- The certificates for a limited liability company must be signed in the name of the limited liability company by all of its managers.
- All such signings must be properly acknowledged. Notarized)
- The forms must be printed on 8½ X 14 (Legal Size) paper.
Assumed Name Forms
More information about these forms and which one is appropriate for your business is available on the Secretary of State website.
- $26.00 for the first 15 pages and
- $4.00 for each additional page
We accept Visa/MasterCard, cash, personal checks, or money orders payable to Register of Deeds.