How can I vote on election day? (in person)
Voting Within Your Precinct:
To vote in person within your designated precinct, a registered voter must:
- Report to your designated voting location.
- Check in with election officials.
- An election official will activate the voting system for you. Then, simply follow the instructions that appear on the voting device.
If you have difficulty getting to the voting booth, reading the voting device screen, or using the voting machine, you may be assisted by a near relative. If a near relative is not available, you may be assisted by a person of your choice.
* "G.S. 163-152. Assistance to voters in primaries and general elections. In a primary or general election, a registered voter qualified to vote in the primary or general election shall be entitled to assistance in getting to and from the voting booth and in preparing his ballots in accordance with the following rules:
- Any voter shall be entitled to assistance from a near relative of his [her] choice.
- Any voter in any of the following four categories shall be entitled to assistance from a person of the voter's choice, other than the voter's employer or agent of that employer or officer or agent of the voter's union:
- One who, on account of physical disability, is unable to enter the voting booth without assistance;
- One who, on account of physical disability, is unable to mark his ballots without assistance;
- One who, on account of illiteracy, is unable to mark his ballots without assistance;
- One who, on account of blindness, is unable to enter the voting booth or mark his ballots without assistance."
Voting Outside Your Precinct:
If you did not submit a change-of-address to the Board Of Elections office by the registration deadline, you must vote in one of two ways:
- Report to your old voting location, where you will pick up a form to then take to your new voting location. (This form will verify that you have not voted at your old voting location.) You will cast your vote at the new location, and your vote will be counted that day along with the others.
- Report to your new voting location to vote. At your new voting location, you may fill out a voter registration change form