"It takes the whole village to raise a child."
Villager is a program originally designed in 1999 as a sponsorship effort to supplement the Buncombe County Social Work Services - Children & Family Services cost incurred by foster parents and caregivers in raising children in foster care.
A sponsor, or "Village" (any individual, family, organization, group, or congregation) may commit to providing incidental financial support for a child in foster care for a period of one year, which may be extended if the sponsor is able to do so.
"Incidental financial support" may take the following forms
- Allowance for clothing when needed
- Allowance for school supplies or other incidentals (uniform, instruments, etc.)
- Tuition for summer camp
- Tuition for lessons (music, sports, etc.)
- Help with paying for some medical procedures not covered by other funding sources
- Any other assistance negotiated by the child's social worker and the Village which fulfills the child's needs and for which no other assistance is available
For a listing of county-wide programs & services offered by Buncombe County Government, please visit our Services for Children section.
Do you suspect abuse?
To make an adult or child protective services report any time, day or night, call the numbers below:
Child Abuse: (828) 250-5900
Adult Abuse: (828) 250-5800
Report Communicable Disease
Call (828) 250-5091 to report
Communicable Disease Reporting Form
Health & Human Services Director /
Assistant County Manager
p. (828) 250-5587
40 Coxe Avenue
PO Box 7408
Asheville, NC 28802
p. (828) 250-5500
f. (828) 250-6235
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Interpreters services are available at no cost
Servicios de intérpretes disponibles sin costo alguno
Услуги переводчика предоставляются бесплатно