How do I know what County jobs are available?
Each Thursday, current job vacancies are posted in the lobby of the Human Resources Department and mailed to the local Employment Security Commission and many area community agencies. Selected vacancies are published in the Asheville Citizen-Times as well as other newspapers and professional publications.
Job vacancies are also posted each Thursday on our website. This list can be accessed by following the "County Job Openings" link listed in the menu on the left or you may call our job line at (828) 250-4183.
How can I apply for county employment?
Applications are accepted for posted position vacancies only. You can apply online or pick up a job application at the County Human Resources office.
The full application package contains the buncombe county application for employment, work history continuation sheet, Buncombe County authorization for release of personal and confidential information and the Buncombe County drug screening through urinalysis applicant consent form.
A college transcript must accompany applications for Social Worker positions. Please attach a copy or have your college send one to:
Buncombe County Human Resources
200 College Street
Asheville, NC 28801
- Resumes are not accepted in place of applications and will not be accepted via e-mail. A resume may accompany a completed application for a posted vacancy.
- Drug screen consent & personal information release documents are required with all applications.
- To apply for more than one position, you must submit a separate application for each position.
- Be sure to indicate on the application the specific position for which you are applying.
What happens after I submit my application?
After the application cut-off date, applications will be reviewed and selected for interviews. Prior to the offer of employment, the applicant will be required to submit to a Urinalysis Drug Screening procedure for the purpose of screening for the presence of illegal drugs or an abusive level of prescribed medication. If you are hired, you will serve a six month probationary period which is an extension of the selection process.
- Only applicants selected for interviews will be notified as to the outcome of their application.
- As a condition of employment, State law requires male applicants who are between the ages of 18 and 26 to certify that they have registered for the military service to be eligible for employment.
- In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Buncombe County will employ only those individuals who are U.S. citizens or legal aliens authorized to maintain employment in the U.S. If you are hired by the County of Buncombe, you will be required to complete an Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9). In accordance with the Immigration, Reform and Control Act of 1986, you will need to furnish documents to verify your eligibility for employment in the U.S. before you can begin work. A valid North Carolina Driver's License and a Social Security Card will meet the eligibility requirements. If you do not possess both of these, other documents may be used for verification. Complete lists are available in the Human Resources Office.
- In compliance with the Americans' with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, Buncombe County prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability, and protects qualified applicants and employees with disabilities from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, job training, fringe benefits, and other aspects of employment. The law also requires that covered entities provide qualified applicants and employees with disabilities with reasonable accommodations that do not impose undue hardship.